I recently read a report that there are 87.3 million recreational boaters in the United States. In addition, over half a million new boats are sold each year while just under a million used boats trade hands. And if those numbers weren’t staggering enough, just look at the 11.87 million boats that registered nationwide. Aye aye, Cap’n, for according to the folks at Statista, boating is certainly a popular activity.
Since I’m quoting those numbers you can tell that I like to do research. When it came to buying a boat I’d talk with friends about their vessels, attend seasonal boat shows, and swing by boat yards and marinas. My desk was cluttered with catalogs and brochures, and after a few months I had too much information to process.
To simplify the process, Take Me Fishing has created a tool that will simplify your search. Compare and find the boat of your dreams by using the Boat Comparison Tool. There are a few ways to use the tool. Here’s how:
1. Click on the activities tab. There are seven options that will narrow your search, from fresh and saltwater fishing, watersports, sailing, overnight cruising, personal water craft, and day cruising.
2. Number of passengers. After you’ve selected your activity you can factor in the size of your crew.
3. Boat length. Depending on your experience and water conditions, select a boat length that will match your activities and passengers.
4. Propulsion. Some boaters prefer inboards, others like outboards, and still others prefer to sail. No matter, pick from six different options.
5. Trailer or Marina. The final decision is whether to keep your boat on a trailer to easily move from spot-to-spot or to moor it in a marina.
From there, pick from 23 different boat types such as center consoles, aluminum hulls, bay or flats boats, or cutty cabins. In a flash you’ll have a number of brands to research more thoroughly. And if you find a few models that suit your needs all you need to do is request more information from a local dealer.
What used to take me months and cost time and money can be done in a half hour. The Boat Comparison Tool fast tracks your search so you can spend more time thinking about more important things….like rigging and splashing.